The Georgia Center for Child Advocacy
WHAT WE DO
For over 30 years, the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy nonprofit champions the needs of sexually and severely physically abused children and victims of child sex trafficking through prevention, intervention, therapy, and collaboration.
The Center performs a wide array of services at no cost to the children or families:
- Provides forensic interviews for over 700 sexually abused children each year
- Conducts over 1300 counseling and therapy sessions each year, providing healing for ab
used children and their families
- A leader in Georgia in treatment for Commercially Sexually Exploited Children (CSEC)
- Coordinates multi-disciplinary case reviews of over 1000 cases of alleged sexual abuse each year in Fulton and DeKalb Counties
- Provides over 200 clinical staff hours for preparation and testimony in court annually
- Over 100,000 adults have been trained to prevent child sexual abuse in Georgia since 2006
WHY WE DO IT
The statistics for abused children are grim!
- 1 in 10 children is sexually abused before the age of 18.
- 1 in 5 children are solicited sexually while on the internet.
- More than 30,000 substantiated cases of child abuse and neglect are reported in GA annually.
- An estimated 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse exist in America today.
Sources: Darkness to Light, Statistics Surrounding Child Sexual Abuse, www.D2L.org, Centers for Disease Control and The Federal Administration for Children and Families, www.cdc.gov
BUT THERE IS HOPE…
The good news is that sexually abused children do benefit from early intervention by trained professionals. At the Georgia Center for Child Advocacy, we see improvement in behavioral problems and self-esteem and the creation of hope. After twenty-five years, we are seeing generations of children, who have received help at the Center, engaged in healthy adult lives and positive relationships.